Monday 1 September 2008

Its a Roast!


Sunday roasts are one of my favourite dishes. There are so many different versions you can do. I often make a vegetarian one but this time I'm making chicken for my man. So I'm making a roast for two. Perfect food for a miserable day and now autumn is coming its perfect to warm you up and fill you up!
What I'm using today:
2 large Potatoes
2 Carrots
2 Parsnips
1 Courgette
4 Broccoli florets
1 cup of peas
1 onion
3 garlic cloves
1 red pepper
1 leek
honey, ginger, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme

*Turn the oven up to 180 degrees
*I start by peeling the potatoes,parsnips,carrots, and par boiling them. I chop the courgettes, leeks and peppers and place them on a roasting try with a bit of soy sauce and balsamic vinegar.
*Then I wrap the chicken breasts in foil and put it in a roasting dish after covering it with a thin coast of butter, rosemary, thyme, chopped garlic, salt , pepper and a bit of paprika.
*When the carrots and parsnips are nearly done, I strain them, place then on a roasting tray with olive oil. On the parsnips this time I grated a bit og ginger on then( but thats not always) I also gave them a light coat of runny honey. I also sprinkle some sesame seeds on them. The carrots I season with salt and pepper and rosemary and thyme. Its best to use fresh herbs but dried herbs work nearly as well.
*When the potatoes are done, strain them and place them on a roasting tray with olive oil, seasoning (including salt , pepper, paprika and garlic ) mix them up abit, if they are slightly over cooked the better as the bashed potatoe mushy bits turn nice and cripsy in the oven.
Place all the trays and the the chicken in the oven.
*While thats cooking chop the broccoli and place in a pan ready to boil.
*Make the gravy- I use red onions, garlic, rosemary thyme, pepper, veg stock, a tea spoon of marmite, a table spoon of tomatoe paste, a small pour of red wine, and bisto gravy powder and lots of water)
*Boil broccoli and peas when you see chicken is just about done
*When the chicken is done remove from oven, keep wrapped in foil if the veg isn't finished otherwise remover everything and serve.

No comments: